Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Creative Chemistry 101 - Day 3



Alcohol Ink Agates Technique
Colors: Alcohol Inks - Sunset Orange, Sunshine Yellow, Citrus, Copper Mixative. Archival inks - Olive, Sepia, Coffee.

Today we're working with alcohol and archival inks. On the first version of this technique I tried using pretty much the entire ROYGBIV spectrum. And while it probably would've worked for a circus themed project, it just really wasn't floating my boat, so I abandoned it to work with 3 colors + a mixative. I have to admit, the "agate" look just isn't my thing, but I do like the mottled effect that you can get by using 2 or 3 colors at a time and occassionally adding in some mixatives to it as well. Personally, I think there are much better uses for alcohol inks like these Vintage Ornaments or the ink splattered technique using compressed air.

Archival Resist Technique
Colors: Archival inks - maganese blue, olive, crimson, jet black. Distress ink - vintage photo.

Okay, so I think this technique has the potential to make for some VERY cool things, but unfortunately my archival ink supply is a bit limited and I didn't have the bright colors needed to really do this justice. In the mean time, just image inks glowing with an almost florescent property against a dark background. See what I mean, cool.

Stamping with Reflections Technique
Colors: Embossed floral area - Distress Barn Door, Fired Brick, Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey, Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint. Backround - Antique Linen, Vintage Photo, with Walnut Stain on the edges. Archival inks - Sepia, Coffee, Jet Black, Maganese Blue.

Okay, so have you seen those cool background stamps that Tim released at CHA last summer? Did you notice that the type was backwards and wonder why? Well, here's your answer: so that you can stamp them on an embossing folder and do this cool technique with it! I'm mean, wasn't that obvious? (Yeah, I didn't get it either. Heck, I'm not even sure I noticed they were backwards until after I bought them!)

Alright kids, that's it for today. If you're thinking this is sooo cool. Sign up for the class! It's only $35 and you can still jump in without being too far behind.

No comments: